Saturday, December 24, 2005

A Message to the Troops- 1943

Following is an ad that Let Freedom Ring placed on the op-ed page of the Washington Times... December 22, 2005.
.
It is a slightly abbreviated version of President Roosevelt's address to the troops and the nation on Christmas Eve, 1943.
.
Its message is oddly pertinent today.
.
Address of President
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Broadcast from Hyde Park , New York
Christmas Eve, 1943


My Friends:

…Some of our men overseas are now spending their third
Christmas far from home. To them and to all others overseas or
soon to go overseas, I can give assurance that it is the purpose of
their Government to win this war and to bring them home at the
earliest possible date.

The American people … know that this is a tough and destructive
war. War entails that. There is no easy road to victory.

I think I see a tendency in some of our people here to assume a
quick ending of the war… And, perhaps as a result of this false
reasoning, I think I discern an effort to resume or even encourage
an outbreak of partisan thinking and talking. I hope I am wrong…

Tonight, on Christmas Eve, all men and women everywhere who
love Christmas are thinking of that ancient town and of the star of
faith that shone there more than nineteen centuries ago.

On behalf of the American people … I send this Christmas
message to you who are in our armed forces:
In our hearts are prayers for you and for all your comrades in arms
who fight to rid the world of evil.

God bless all of you who fight our battles on this Christmas Eve.
God bless us all. Keep us strong in our faith that we fight for a
better day for human kind – here and everywhere.

Presented in the Public Interest by

No comments: