Thursday, June 16, 2005

DOWNING STREET MEMO

To those who can not let the “DOWNING STREET MEMO” go...
Give it up!!! There is no smoking gun, not even a warm barrel there.
With the major news media starting to report the subject up a little bit more these days, even all of them, (and I say ALL) end their reports by pretty much saying this (and all the other all of a sudden popping up memos,) have no feet. That there is nothing new there.
My thought is if old news is said in another way, over and over and over again, it’s still OLD NEWS!!! Give it up, cut it loose... Let it go.......................

2 comments:

Alan Stewart Carl said...

Here's what I think.

Original Downing Street Memo: nothing there. Not a thing.

New Memos--confirmation of what we already knew, which is that Bush was danged determined to get rid of Saddam.

None of this is "new" it's just details of what was known. Given that Bush was reelected, we can say that a majority of the people did not think how Bush led us into war was wrong. Many of those that did think it was wrong voted against Bush and can't believe Kerry lost. They believe that Bush tricked Americans and that they (Kerry voters) were the only ones smart enough to see it. They believe these memos will convince all the "dumb" Bush voters that Bush is a liar and then...well I dunno. I think they want impeachment. Yeah. Right.

Anyway, the memos confirm my what I suspected at the time. That the WMD, while important, wasn't really the primary reason. The primary reason was to change the dynamic of the middle east. Bold, possibly visionary stuff. But I think Bush and his guys didn't think they could "sell" the war in those terms so they justified it with very real but decidedly secondary reasons.

Is any of this wrong? I wish that the reasons for war had been clearer and I wish the Senate had taken longer to review the situation. But I honestly don't know if the reasons for war were unclear because of the way it was presented by the administration or because of the way it was presented by the media. Whatever, there was no lying. Mistakes, sure. But those happen in war.

AubreyJ......... said...

Thanks Alan, Well said......