Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Governor Rick Perry signs Parental Consent Bill at a Christian Academy

This past Sunday, Texas Governor Rick Perry (a republican) signed into law a Parental Consent Bill (read more here) and also did a ceremonial signing of a Constitutional Amendment Defining Marriage, (voters still have to approve this ban in the upcoming November election,) inside the Gymnasium of a Christian Academy. NOT A CHURCH like so many News Headlines are sounding off with. I repeat-- NOT IN A CHURCH. Many would lead you to believe that he signed the above into law from the church podium but this just isn’t so.
Now there is a big difference between a Gymnasium and a Church wouldn’t you say? Even if said gymnasium is on the property of a religious campus, it’s still not a church… Period!!! Yet I know what many of you are going to say. What’s the difference? Is this Politics or Principles here???
The way I see it, it’s both at its best. For one the signing was done at Calvary Christian Academy, Fort Worth Texas. I might be wrong on this one but if I’m correct, isn’t Fort Worth still part of the so called “Religious Belt.?” And for two, election time is right around the corner and the religious base in Texas will be all behind this man for Governor again. Sorry Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison. Being elected to Governor this coming election just isn’t going to happen. (Don’t get me wrong though, I like Senator Hutchison very much. She’s been a damn good senator for Texas and has done a great service for that state and for our country. That’s just a fact, yet getting off topic.)
Anyway… All of this to me has meant nothing more than a stick in the eye to all of those religious-liberty watchdog groups in Washington DC. (It was most likely meant to be just that too.) Yep… Just a tad-bit close to crossing the line on Religion and Government was he but just within the laws of Texas and this good old USA of ours. Now I know all of this just had to PO a lot of those watchdog groups and a few others too but you know what? They’ll get over it... Good for you Governor Perry. You done good!!!
More reads at: “The Yellow Line” and at “The Moderate Republican.” Can’t say they agree with me on this but that’s what makes this country so great…

8 comments:

Alan Stewart Carl said...

You already know I disagree with you on this one, but let me ask, why did Governor Perry travel 300 miles to Ft. Worth to sign a bill in a gymnasium? Because it's not just a gynasium. It is indeed on church ground and is part of a church. Now, I understand that there is indeed a distinction between a pulpit and a gym, but church ground is church ground. He didn't pick this gym at random. It was meant to send a clear signal. He's implying this bill is coming straight from Christian faith. Laws shouldn't be based on a specific religion. It's a bad precident.

Incidently, I agree with the abortion bill, I just think it should have been signed in an environment that didn't make it seem as if it was some Christian initiative. This is a good law no matter one's faith and it should have been presented as such.

Alan Stewart Carl said...

Oh, in case I wasn't clear, laws, as in specific laws, shouldn't be directly derived from a particular faith. Law, as in the grand idea of law, I think is indeed derived from religion. We are "endowed by our creater with inalliable rights." Can't get more obvious than that!

AubreyJ......... said...

Sorry Alan but the Bill was signed in a gymnasium, not a church. Big, big difference no matter who owns the property. Yet we can argue that one over until the cows come home. Now I myself do NOT think he was trying to imply that this bill was coming straight from the Christian faith at all. I do think it was a political move on his part and he was most likely trying to answer to the calls of so many in the Texas GOP base, (as we all know is those of faith,) and sticking it into the eye of all those religious-liberty watchdog groups while doing so. Why else would he go 300 miles, all the way up to Fort Worth Texas, in the middle of the Religious Belt, to a mostly colored Christian Academy, just to sign a little old Bill? The answer is simple. POLITACAL!!! Politics at its best and worse all wrapped up in one… So by this I say Governor Perry made a political call by doing what he did. It was probably a smart one on his part and it sure the heck made a lot of people MAD and happy all at the same time. This is nothing more than true, hard core politics at work here and is probably what’s wrong with the system today…….

By the way, I liked your breakdown on “specific laws.” Your explanation holds a lot of truths to it.

Alan Stewart Carl said...

You know, you might be right. I may be reacting to the political more than the symbolic. I really don't like the combination of religion and politics--not because of what it does to politics so much as what it does to religion. Politics is about power--which I don't have a problem with, power and politics is a fact of life. But, at least to me, Faith is a lot about giving up power, acknowledging that there is much in the world that is greater than you...submitting yourself to Christ. That is hard to reconcile with the requirements of politics. At least in my mind.

It's odd, so many people cry about religion corrupting politics when there's no way we'd ever be a theocracy. But I don't hear a lot about politics corrupting religion...

AubreyJ......... said...

The 5 most powerful words in America…
“In God we trust” and “Freedom”

Politics-- Corruption-- Religion-- we can argue over these, the big FIVE we can not.

Alan Stewart Carl said...

Well put. I agree 100%.

emilie said...

good stuff

I have a small qualm, in general, with this whole taking-a-step-back/praise thing people sometimes do.
In this case, I see some people condoning what Gov. Perry did because "that's how you play the game." I've heard others note how 'smart' Bush is because at least he's "playing the game well."
Overall, I really dislike this justification for people's actions (this even applies to Boston Rob and Amber). I guess I'm one of those people that always thinks:
"Gee, that's great that you're playing the game 'well,' but SHOULD you be doing this stuff??"

*I'm a little hazy this morning and this comment could make absolutely no sense*

AubreyJ......... said...

Good points made Emilie…
I for one can only say that today’s politics is nothing more than a mean, nasty beast. We can wish it to be otherwise but it just isn’t going to happen. Unfortunately in these days and times the one who plays the game the best-- Wins!!! (Doesn’t make the rules of the game anymore likable) When one can get themselves past these nasty facts, understanding our politicians and the people who cheer them on is a whole lot easier… (Well maybe just more tolerable.)