Sunday, July 31, 2005

President Musharraf of Pakistan launches crackdown on extremists

Many students at madrassas, or religious schools, along with the hard-line Islamist Politicians in Pakistan are very upset with Musharraf who this past Friday said 1,400 foreign students, at madrassas, must leave the country...........

Now-- Many of you might disagree with me but I for one like President Pervez Musharraf. This article at: BBC NEWS is a good example of the man and his own personal war on terror. You got to give it to the man… He has been the target of several assassination attacks within his own country and every day has to walk a fine line between helping the west and appeasing his fellow countrymen.

Oh yes… Musharraf most certainly has a drum bet of his own, with this war on terror and his words are so often unheard by the west. We just don’t listen… Figure that!!! I also think that no man, or women, can change the thinking of an entire country over night. President Pervez Musharraf is most certainly no different. I’ll end by saying President Musharraf surely has his hands full, but at least to me, he seems to be trying to do his best under the circumstances.
AubreyJ.....................

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, write my name down in the list of people that disagree with you on this one.

He refused to step down as head of the military (although he was promising to stop wearing the military uniform!!), he has claimed that he will stay in power longer than his term runs, and he OK'd the ban on Mukhtar Mai's plan to travel outside of Pakistan after she spoke out about her court-ordered gang rape. He has even gone as to detain a leader of an opposition party. I just can't believe that these are the actions of a man who is acting for the people of Pakistan, and not just thinking of himself.

His record in "assisting" in the war on terror isn't a whole lot better. It is generally assumed that Bin Laden is hiding somewhere in North Pakistan (Although we aren't allowed to enter to search for him, and his military has only made some half-hearted efforts). Of course, Musharraf originally insisted, without a doubt, that OBL was dead and that we are wasting our time looking for him. Then came all those videos of OBL in Pakistan and suddenly his story changes to "oh, of course he's alive, but the trail has gone cold."

There is also evidence that Pakistani military forces are aiding the ousted Taliban forces attack the US forces that are still in Afganistan.

If I really thought that these were just unfortunate consequences of an honest man trying to lead a country that just wasn't ready for change, I would agree with you, but I can't do that. I think that he appeases the U.S. and England when he has to, and the rest of the time he just ignores blatant islamic extremism happening right under his nose.

AubreyJ......... said...

The man didn’t plot his own assignation attempts on himself I promise you. And I still say a lot of good is being done over there on the war on terror… That is not a perfect world over there by no means- I know this… I just don’t think one can try to make it as plain as black and white over there… It’s not… A few bads but a lot more goods are being achieved….
AubreyJ…………

Anonymous said...

I'm not arguing that the man is trying to assassinate himself, I'm jsut saying he isn't necessarily that great of an ally to the U.S. I don't see how the assassination attempts prove or disprove that he is a good leader or valuable ally. Assassination attempts can be against anyone, no matter what their type of morals and values that person has.

Hitler (no, I'm not making the usual whiny Hitler comparison), one of the most evil men in history, survived an assassination plot. Martin Luther King, Jr., one of the greatest men in our history, did not survive the attempt on his life, so I don't see a correlation between surviving an assassination attempt and being a worthy and valueable ally.

Right now, the U.S. gov't is supplying his military with a ton of weapons and equipment. I think that he is doing the bare minimum to keep us happy while still getting his weapons.

My impression of him is that if he thought he could oppose the U.S. and strengthen his own position, he would turn on us in a second. I don't think he feels any loyalty to us or to the opposition of terrorism. He is playing both sides, and up to this point, doing it well.

AubreyJ......... said...

Thanks for your views Corey...
But-- I'm a little hardheaded and I think I'll stick with mine... See ya in the Blogs...
AubreyJ.........